When I was teaching and had to go into work on a weekend I totally wore pyjamas. As in, 10am Sunday mornings you could find me in my staff room, OJ in hand, dressed in my finest flannel pants, old tee and hoodie marking assignments. Now I am working a regular old 9 to 5 job I haven’t had a chance to employment PJ it up in years. But this will change tomorrow when I rock up to work in the snuggliest knit dress ever. Seriously. This thing is stealth pyjamas. Hold on to you teddy bears and fluffy pillow kids- this is the Moneta and Violet hybrid knit frock.
To achieve the greatness of stealth PJs there are several steps that must be undertaken. First, acquire the comfiest fabric ever. This glorious faux-quilted poly rayon blend is from Addicted to Fabric. I say faux-quilted because it is not actually stitched but upon closer inspection shows that there is a poly filler between the two layers and it looks like it may have been pressed into the quilt look. Regardless, it is freaking rad and I managed to squeeze this whole pattern out of 1.5m. Booyah! I had actually bought another metre for the bodice pieces of this dress so now I have some spare. I’m thinking either a bomber or a sweatshirt… Regardless, I’ll be the sassiest lady in Canberra with her whole wardrobe made from one fabric. At least everything will match. Bwah ha ha!
The next step to stealth PJs is to get a comfy pattern. If, like me, you are crazy picky and want a scooped bodice and a flared skirt you are going to have to get creative and merge patterns. This bodice is from the Moneta by Colette Patterns. It has a gentle scoop with a wide neckline and 3/4 sleeves making it all kinds of snug. The skirt is the Violet from Bluegingerdoll and is a knee length, flared number allowing for maximum twirls and sashays. And while yes, I hypothetically could have drafted the skirt myself, Amanda would rather spend that time drinking all the champagne and eating all the salt and vinegar crisps. And apparently referring to herself in third person. Which is weird but let’s roll with it…
This should have been a super quick and straightforward make but of course I managed to Amanda it up so the whole process took much longer than it needed to. For some bizarre reason I decided to lengthen the bodice by 3cm before cutting the pattern pieces. I am 2” taller than what Colette drafts for so was thinking ahead and trying to avoid making a toile. EPIC FAIL! When I tried on the frock for the first time the waist seam was way too low. I ended up taking 3cm off the length of both the bodice and skirt. Ugh. I am good at pre-empting rap battle lyrics but not so much with the adjustments needed for sewing…
Another note on bodice construction: the lining was omitted because why bother with a knit? Sure, it may not be the sauciest make ever from the inside but all raw edges are serged (the poly filling of the quilting was puffing out) and things look neat and tidy. I also got sassy and constructed this primarily on my overlocker and only used my regular machine for hems. Like a lazy boss!
As the skirt came from a separate pattern I eyeballed the size needed when cutting and ended up taking a little off the side seams to get a smoother line. The original inclusion of pockets was a red hot mess of the worst persuasion- it made me look like I was wearing those weird goofy jodhpurs that puff out on the thighs. Heck no. So instead this hobbitses has no pocketses. The humanity!
What I liked about this:
- How quick the construction was. OMG who knew a knit frock could be sewn up in a couple of hours? Life changing.
- The lack of FBA. I’ll be posting soon about my second attempt at an FBA for a frock (the first was such a fail I can’t even look at it) I am over my bust and am seriously thinking about strapping my lady cargo down a al Joan of Arc for the time being. Can someone get me a holy sword, STAT?
- The fabric. OMG. This stuff is seriously rad.
What I would change for next time:
- Reinforce the shoulders with elastic. I was too busy gossiping and eating all the sweet and salty popcorn (please tell me you have tried this deliciousness?!) at CBR Sewing Crew to pay attention. Catching up with everyone was totally worth the lack of elastic.
- Add pockets back in. I’ll use my regular polka dot cotton for this which should stop the puffy look that happened from the quilted cotton goodness.
- Explore the fit around the front armscye. It feels okay at the moment but I think it needs to sit a bit more flush against my torso- a few wearings will let me know.
Fabric: 1.5m of quilted rayon/polyester blend from Addicted to Fabric
Notions: 2 metres of clear elastic, thread, sweet and salty popcorn
Overall, I am super happy with this number- it is a perfect addition to my work wardrobe! This is one of my fastest purchase to finished garments ever- as in just over a week from seeing the fabric to final fit. Booyah! In other news around the traps, we’ve begun home renos on Chez Bimble + Pimble in earnest but more importantly Miss Bimble turned 11 last week and in celebration she had 10 teeth removed the fortnight earier. Poor wee sprite. She has healed up well but now has a super gap toothed grin. It just adds to her charm…