Last Christmas vacation I had this seriously lucid dream that I was in a Hawaiian movie wearing this knock out tiki dress, drinking coconut cocktails with Elvis and a t-rex. Upon waking from what I think we can all agree is possibly the best dream ever I became obsessed with making a tiki dress. After a call out for help on twitter I was set with some fabric (from Hawaii, natch!), a pattern (Gertie’s bombshell course) and supplies (boning, casing and the likes sent all the way from NYC by the lovely Charlotte). It was time. But life isn’t all cocktails with Elvis and dinosaurs. Things happened and tiki frock got sidelined. That is until the recent radness of Frocktails down in Melbourne. 30 rad sewists, 30 rad frocks- I needed to step it up. So please say aloha to awesomeness!
|The fabric triplets- Kat, Liz and I.
Fabric shopping with these ladies was uncanny- but bodes well for stash swapping!
|A quartet of Melbourne awesomeness- Belle, Rachel, Mel, Kat.
Some serious style (and loveliness) happening at right here.
|The always effervescent Lizzy.
I think it was easy to pick the natural posers in the group… BWAH HA HA!
- I freaking made it! It will take a while for this thrill to wear off, let me tell you. Bwah ha ha!
- The special finishing- hand basted pieces, kick pleat, tidy insides. I am so proud with how well this turned out.
- Hand picked zip. And it held. With zero ease. Consider my mind officially blown.
- I really want to try the bombshell bodice. I think to do this successfully I’m going to need a dress form. Pinning to a tight shirt did not work so well… Hmm… It may be time to go a shopping!
- Do I dare go a crazier tiki fabric? I’m thinking serious tiki heads. Sure, I could go refined with a silk or somesuch but let’s face it TIKI BEATS EVERYTHING!
- Spiral steel boning- I’m ready for this!