The contender came into this challenge full of zest with something to prove. The Beignet had done some damage in the last bout with the whole shell sewn inside out but the challenger had picked it apart and sewn it back together. ZAM!
Today’s bout started badly when the Beignet did a surprise left hook and revealed that in the resewing last night two of the pieces had been mixed up. KA POW! Amanda then spent 45 minutes unpicking all of the serged pattern sections and re-piecing things in the correct order.
In a surprise moved the contender smashed a cute as a button fabric lining into the shell. It looked sweet and professional. Beignet had no retaliation at this point.
Alas! Beignet had something left in her. Poor fabric choice, bad button hole measurement plus a muslin without a lining lead to poor bunchy fit. Not even a pair of Spanx could rescue our challenger.
Our contender dug deep and found the energy for one last push to the finish. All buttons were cut off and realigned. Exhausted the challenger dragged herself to the mirror for the final showdown.
- The lining looks so lovely! It was my favourite feature.
- The high waist. If fitted well would look great.
- A muslin with lining- more time but should pay off.
- Better fabric. I discovered too late that the sateen had stretch. Gah!
- More research into fitting. Time to devour more blogs and books.
- Better button holes. Practise, practise, practise.
Let’s be honest- there is something about this pattern that is my personal achilles heel. I’m going to leave this be for a few months and once I have started to hone my skills into epicness I shall try again. Nothing was going right with this and I shudder to think how long I have spent on Beignet this week. Scary times.